Knowing how to design an in-home meditation room is a personal quest. Each individual knows what is sacred to him or her and what necessary influences are required to quiet the body, mind and spirit. There are however a few tips ideal for assisting one in knowing how to design an in-home meditation room.
1. First and foremost a quiet undisturbed, uncluttered private area is required for concentration and focus.
2. Make the area unique to any other area in your home be it a change in texture, color, or influence including colors and objects that affect you in a positive way.
3. Use a few sacred items such as religious statues, a Buddha, the Torah, the Bible, or other faith influenced item that signifies the importance of faith in your life and organize them with care.
4. Comfort is first and foremost in knowing how to design an in-home meditation room. Purchase a few yoga blankets, and a Zafu and Zabuton, which is the meditation cushion (Zafu) and large flat pillow (Zabuton) upon which the pillow rests. Being comfortable eliminates preoccupation with discomfort while trying to silence the mind. If sitting on the floor creates discomfort there are meditation stools, benches and chairs available. Meditation can be done virtually any place.
5. In terms of creating the ambiance and atmosphere indicative of a meditation environment some people use candles and incense. Fragrance is also important in knowing how to design an in-home meditation room. Incense, reed diffusers or soy fragranced candle will create a serene smell that is relaxing and calming to the senses. Natural infused oils are also an excellent choice to use. Nag Champa, Frankincense, and Patchouli are particularly soothing fragrances.
6. Many people that practice meditation create an altar upon which their items are arranged. Usually an altar consists of candles, fresh flowers, a statuary, sacred books, prayer beads, meditation bells and gongs to begin and end the meditation session.
7. A nice touch in knowing how to design an in-home meditation room is also to have soft Tibetan wind chimes hanging above the altar space as the sound is peaceful and promotes feelings of harmony.
8. Remove all electronics from your meditation space to maintain it as a retreat away from the grind of daily life. Meditation is a way of getting in touch with your inner self during a time of quiet. Try to remove all unnecessary distractions
9. Use color as a primary influence and force in your meditation space.
10. If you don’t know how to design an in-home meditation room due to space, select a corner of space and customize it where you can retreat without disruption at a certain time of day.
Knowing how to design an in-home meditation room is a matter of simply using things that make you feel good and influence feelings of well being and peace.